Monday, July 28, 2008

Dairy free and soy free now

Oy! It has come to my attention that I now need to be dairy free and soy free, thank you celiac disease, not! So, I'm a big girl and can take this and Susan has to be dairy free anyways so why not do it with her right? So let the the search and experiments begin. I am now in search of a dairy free, soy free, gluten free maragrine and mayonaise and possibly cheese and even though I have zero energy thanks to the constant pain from the arthritis I am not opposed to making some thing myself. I tell you, I am in serious need of a grocery overhaul and by that I mean my grocery bill is WAY too high every week and I need to trim the fat. So, it is time to make a list of staples for my cupboard and do a pantry challenge to clear out stuff we no longer can eat (Dan will finish those up for us) and list what I will always order from Amazon (my beloved Better Batter flour and Pamelas bread mix) and find where to trim fat. I also need to make a list of foods we always eat so I have a master list of dinners to choose from. Boy, talk about work! Good thing I can't do much moving right now. It will give me some thing to do.

Speaking of not moving, lately the arthritis has been bad and I've been having to take the Vicodin a lot more than I like. A little more than a week until my first RA appointment so that is good.

I have been a little down lately due to my not being able to move much and I really miss sewing so I am now working, very slowly, at cleaning out my sewing room closet for easy access to my fabrics and tools and cleaning off the piles on my sewing desk. I plan on sewing for little bits at a time when I can and hopefully the RA doc will put me on a nice anti-inflammatory that will work and that I am not allergic to. I also will get my cross stitching together and place it next to my chair for picking up to work on while sitting here listening to the t.v. Maybe I can get some ornaments done for a few gifts this year and for my tree. I do have some wall hangings I really want to finish and a quilt for Susan I want to make for a Christmas gift and another quilt in progress that needs finishing. I'm not sure on the size of that one, either it will be a throw or queen sized. And Susan's will fit her new full sized bed. Oh, I am itching to sew just talking about it.

Tonight Dan took a day off so we can go to the drive in and see Step Brothers and Hancock. This is the first time we've gone to the drive in since I was diagnosed with the celiac disease and in the past we've always stopped and bought pizza on the way and had our dinner there so I really wanted to keep that tradition going and have decided to make a new chicken nugget recipe that I got from some one on the fabulous yahoo sillyaks group and some fries to take with us. It will be like we stopped at McDonalds hopefully. I'll review and post pics of the nuggets in the next few days after I make them. The recipe has tons of potential though so I know we will like it. And speaking of movies we saw the Dark Knight the other day and what a great movie that was. I love the Batman movies but never thought anyone lived up to Michael Keatons version of Batman but this one was awesome and Heath Ledger as the Joker was fantastic. What a shame he passed so young and before he could see how much everyone loved it.

So, to end this long post I will mention the cute and adorable and challenging kittens we have here. My kitty Rosie had them and let me tell you it was a shock when she started fattening out. She is so scared of everything I never thought she would let another cat near her and the very few times she would go out she stayed under the front porch. Turns out our outside cat Meanie was not doing his job and another cat was living under the porch. Yikes LOL! So now the kittens are 11 weeks old tomorrow and love to climb on tables and such so they were introduced to the squirt bottle the other day. Boy they do learn fast don't they. She had 3 kittens. 2 healthy and 1 born with an obvious problem with his leg. He could not use it at all and it stayed up against his body so I was skeptical he would make it. Well Rosie gave him the same attention as the others and he could get to the food so I just waited to see if he would be able to get into the litter box when that time came and low and behold he could. So he was a little slower than the other 2 but now he is fast and strong and can jump on everything just like the other 2 and he just limps around not using that leg for anything but support. He could not extend the paw forward or control the 2 claws he has on the paw. Did I forget to mention when he was born either Rosie chewed half of two of his paws off or he was born that way? They were bleeding so I'm leaning towards she did that for some reason. Well, last night I was watching him and shocker of all shockers he is using that paw like a normal paw while walking, extending it forward. He still isn't putting weight on it and limps around but this is progress! I am now hopeful that he will be able to use it eventually even just a little. What a nice suprise and my mom will be really suprised as she is taking him. So just because I like a blog with pics in every posts here are some pics of the adorable kittens. The first ones were taken about a month ago and the third one of them nursing was taken about a week ago. I took it just because I thought it was funny that they still nurse every once in awhile for comfort. Rosie has weaned them for the most part but they still nurse every once in a great while.

Okay, so this is Chip and Mini. Chip is the tabby and Mini is the grey. Susan named them and we are not sure of the name Mini but that is what it is right now.



This is Gimpy.



And this is Chip and Mini nursing about a week ago. They love their mama and they still sleep with her in the afternoon and at night.
It's cute.



Bye!

No comments: