Tuesday, November 9, 2010

What was I thinking!

It's horrible, just terrible, what was I thinking!

Okay, it's not that bad but it was an attention getter right?

What was I thinking telling Dan that I could go a year without buying fabric?? Don't get me wrong, it's not a will power thing. I have no problem going a year without buying fabric, I've gone much longer than that and that is where my problem is. I have not bought fabric in several years! I've been working from stash and buying what was needed to finish a project or make a project. Not much left over except maybe a little for a future applique project. For sure not enough to make 4 large quilts for graduation. I am left with uglies! And not enough to make 4 quilts and really, who wants to gift an ugly quilt let alone 4 of them? Not me! So I pulled a lot of my fabric out and cut it into 2 1/2 inch strips thinking I'd make some log cabin blocks and here is how far I got with one before I could not stand to work on it any more.



It's not horrible but it's not colors I like together at all and it definitely not for a teenage girl.

So I started with these colors and got this far before I wasn't sure what colors to add to it so I called in Dan to ask his opinion on these and do you know what he said?



He said "You need to buy fabric." Ha! He disliked it as much as I did, possibly more. So I started searching the internet for fabric and found fat quarter sets I liked but I wasn't ready to give up yet so I started playing with some tea dying and Rit dye and white Kona cotton.



And I ended up with this from the Rit dye. Whoops, I forgot to take a picture of the tea dyed fabric but I will try to remember to get one but here is the purple and orange I did.





I spent 2 days cutting 2 inch strips out of it and here are those strips along with colors I pulled from my stash to go along with it.







I then sewed and sewed and sewed and here is some of what I sewed.



I know you are wondering what I am doing with these strips but you will have to be patient and stay tuned!

And just for kicks here is the awesome gluten free hot dog buns I made. Finally! Good hot dog buns!



Also, because it makes me laugh, Susan in her last minute Halloween costume.



Bye!

4 comments:

Angie in SoCal said...

Nice dye jobs and well worth the time - they fit right in to your other fabrics.

nanboudreau said...

Busy time Jamie, it will be fun shopping for new fabric. Actually I like the beige and red combination. Keep on !!
hugs
Nan

Diana Davis said...

OMG I laughed right out loud at Susan's whoopee cushion costume!!!! Love it!!
Now to comment on the fabrics. It seems like every time I dye fabric, it runs when I wash it. How do you get yours not to? You did a fine job and I can't wait to see what you do with it all!

Denise said...

Just love the dyed fabrics. Do you use vinegar to set the dye or some other trick? Keep posting!