Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Not as planned......

Okay, so dinner didn't go as planned the other night. Can you believe it took until after 8pm to make that darned turkey!? I can't say I've ever had that happen before. So I picked everything off the bone and as I type this I'm kicking myself for throwing the carcass away and not tossing it into the crock pot for turkey broth! Anyways since we ate leftovers instead I took the turkey last night and heated it up, made the mashed potatoes and veggies and gravy and we had it for dinner. One problem... me and Dan are now sick... again! We had the H1N1(pretty sure that is what it was)go through our house a couple of weeks ago and I never quite kicked it off completely and now here we are sick...again. I'm not sure what this is but am hoping it goes away pretty fast, at least a whole lot faster than the last time. I'm missing basket class again this week and I am only 1 round of curls away from finally being done with the double wall basket that has plagued me since before my shoulder injury and surgery.

So I left you with why I do not have kitchen counters, here's why......






Major water leaks! It all started with our slider back door......



It turns out it has been leaking for years. We really regret those french doors so Dan had to take out the doors, rip up the floor, replace insulation and remove a rather large colony of carpenter ants. The new slider looks great and we have had some serious rain storms and zero leaks. Then, a few weeks after, the toilet in our bathroom decided to overflow for 4 hours or so and that went from the master bath through our master bedroom, what a mess! So tiles popping up in there and we decided to rip out the bathroom and redo it and replace the carpet. But before we could even start that we discovered a major water leak in the laundry room, yes, when it rains it certainly pours! So the pictures with the fridge above are pictures of that work when it started. The pantry has been removed which is why I have no counter space because my pantry is on the counters. The door way is getting pushed back to place the pantry in the kitchen area and the laundry room is becoming the dogs room and we are breaking into our master bath and creating a new laundry area and that door will be accessible from the kitchen as well. Done so far is the new side door in the dogs new room, the dry wall is up and flooring is all replaced. It is now time to break into the master bathroom to create the laundry area. Hopefully I will not have to go to the laundry mat this week!! After this demo and drywall mudding is done then the whole house will be repainted and refloored. We're practically building a new house here people and poor Dan is exhausted with all the work at his job and then all the work at home. Hopefully we will be completely done before Thanksgiving. Fingers crossed!

So when we found the kitchen, laundry room leak we were 1, yes, 1 day from leaving for South Carolina. It was a nice vacation though. We stayed in a cabin on the ocean on Hunting Island. Would I do it again......uuhhhh, maybe, maybe not. I'm not big in doing the same thing all the time. I like to do some thing different so I can experience new things. Next summer we are hoping for Washing D.C. Here are some pics from the South Carolina trip......






This was one of the coolest things about the island......






The deer were so tame! These are some of my favorite pictures. And don't get me started with all the jelly fish. There was some kind of jelly fish convention going on or some thing. We all got stung and mine flared back up even after we got home, so did Dans. Also, it turns out I'm allergic to shell fish. Broke out in blisters all along my gums after trying crab. Now I'm told to never eat fish again.

One more thing before I end this post and consider myself caught up enough. Guess who turned 16 and is now driving??



Well darn. I know I have a picture of her and her car but I can not find it right now. Oh well.

Today I am going to try my hand at gluten free noodles for some soup using the leftover turkey. I found the recipe on a great looking blog which I will share after I try it and post how it went tomorrow. I'll even share pics if I can remember. I've been dying to try some pasta but have not had the guts. This recipe made it look so simple I just can not help myself and with us being sick this just sounds like some thing we could use. I think I will make it for lunch and we can heat it for dinner too.

Bye!

No comments: